Home News Former Michigan man gets two years in Hammond child molestation case

Former Michigan man gets two years in Hammond child molestation case

16
0



Former Michigan man gets two years in Hammond child molestation case

A former Michigan man was sentenced to two years Wednesday in Lake Superior Court in a plea deal for a 2010 Hammond child molestation case.

Louis Kalozi, 53, served a term in federal prison in connection with the case. An Indiana Appeals Court rejected his double jeopardy claim last year.

He pleaded guilty March 6 in Lake Superior Court to sexual misconduct with a minor, a Class C Felony. The plea set out his prison term. He originally faced 2-8 years. The law when he was charged requires inmates to serve 50% with good behavior.

His lawyer Lonnie Randolph II said the lower-end sentence was worked out since the then-pending county case upped his time in federal prison.

Kalozi said in court his actions were “reprehensible” and accepted his sentence.

He allegedly molested the Michigan boy, then 15, on a trip to Chicago to visit museums and other places, according to Post-Tribune archives. Kalozi, the friend of the mother of another child in the group, fondled the boy April 8 and April 9, 2010, while they stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Motel in Hammond.

Kalozi had argued in his double jeopardy appeal since he pleaded guilty in federal court in November 2010 to transportation of a minor for sexual exploitation and sexual exploitation of a minor that should squash the county case. He was sentenced to 15 years in 2011.

Federal prison records show he was released in August.

mcolias@post-trib.com



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here